Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default Disable popup message "Cannot find proofing tools for ...."

Hi Patricia,

While changing a keyboard setting, as Cooz suggests, might have been the
original cause, the message you're getting is controlled by the "Microsoft
Office 2003 Language Settings". You should find this under
Start/Programs/Microsoft Office/Microsoft Office Tools. There should be a
list of "activated languages". You want to select and remove any entries from
this list that you don't want to actively spell check.

Note, however, that you'd only get the message you report if the text in the
document is formatted with the German language. Language formatting is a
complex topic. You'll find an article in the Tips section of my website that
explains the background and how to get control of it.

When I open some Word 2003 documents occasionally a popup message appears:

"Cannot find proofing tools for german". If you have the proofing tools,
try installing or re-installing them...."

I don't want to (re-) install any proofing tools.

For what purpose do I need proofing tools? Is this a kind of spell-checker?

How can I disable (permanently) this popup error message in Word 2003?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org