Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Alphabetizing

There will be no problem with the numbers if you have used auto numbering
rather than typed the numbers. The hitch is that, by default, Word will sort
on the first name. To sort on the last name, in the Sort dialog, click
Options. Under "Separate fields at," choose "Other" and type a space in the
box, then click OK. You will now have a choice of Word 1 and Word 2. Sort on
Word 2. If any of the names have more than first name and last name, you
will need to do some work to make them conform. Replace the space between a
first name and middle initial or the two parts of a double first name with a
nonbreaking space (Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar), and Word will see them as one word.

http://word.mvps.org

"Fay Zeller" wrote in message
I need to take reservations for an event & note the # of people attending.
Therefore
1. Jane Smith
2. Edgar Guest
3. Joe Jones
4. Bob Able
5.Jennifer Boyer
6. David Hall
7. Bill Williams

After the list is complete I need to alphabetize, as going through a list
of 200 people when they arrive takes too much time.
when I use the sorter it doesn't work because of the numbers, probably.
How can I alphabetize this list?.