Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darkeforce Darkeforce is offline

Default Why can't I associate DOC files with Word 2007?

I'm trying to set Word 2007 as the default program to open DOC files, but it
won't let me. I don't want to have to go through and convert all my DOC files
to DOCX, and I know that using Word 2007 for DOC files means that I have to
use compatibility mode, but I'm content with that.

I have tried right-clicking a DOC document, and using "Open with...", but
even after I browse manually to winword.exe, it still won't show the option
to open in Word 2007 in the dialogue. I also tried going through Start -
Default Programs and selecting DOC files, but I got the same result; the
"Open with..." dialogue will not recognize Word 2007 as a viable program to
open DOC files.

I'm using Vista Home Premium