Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darkeforce Darkeforce is offline

Default Why can't I associate DOC files with Word 2007?

From my first post:

"I have tried right-clicking a DOC document, and using "Open with...", but
even after I browse manually to winword.exe, it still won't show the option
to open in Word 2007 in the dialogue. I also tried going through Start -
Default Programs and selecting DOC files, but I got the same result; the
"Open with..." dialogue will not recognize Word 2007 as a viable program to
open DOC files."

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Specifically how are you trying to associate these files?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Darkeforce" wrote in message
I only have Word 2007; upgraded from 2000. Word 2000 doesn't appear to be
on
the computer at all anymore, so there is only one Winword.exe file.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

I have Vista and Office 2007. .doc files are associated with Word. It
doesn't say which version but then again I only have one version
installed
on this system.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Darkeforce" wrote in message
Vista SP1

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Are you using Vista or XP?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Darkeforce" wrote in message
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools WILL
NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open DOC
files.
Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and selecting
Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word 2007 as
one
of
the possible options for DOC files.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

Vista
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6172036.html

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Darkeforce" wrote in
message
That's crazy. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to
associate
earlier
format of Word files with Word 2007 if it's able to open them.
Not
allowing
us to associate them like this seems like nothing more than a
little,
petty
"screw you" gesture. After all, most people still use DOC files,
not
DOCX
files.

"AnonyMous" wrote:

I have the exact same problem as you, but no one is replying to
our
posts
unfortunately.

"Darkeforce" wrote:

I'm trying to set Word 2007 as the default program to open DOC
files,
but it
won't let me. I don't want to have to go through and convert
all
my
DOC
files
to DOCX, and I know that using Word 2007 for DOC files means
that
have to
use compatibility mode, but I'm content with that.

I have tried right-clicking a DOC document, and using "Open
with...",
but
even after I browse manually to winword.exe, it still won't
show
the
option
to open in Word 2007 in the dialogue. I also tried going
through
Start -
Default Programs and selecting DOC files, but I got the same
result;
the
"Open with..." dialogue will not recognize Word 2007 as a
viable
program to
open DOC files.

I'm using Vista Home Premium