Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Why can't I associate DOC files with Word 2007?

See
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...dows-Mail.html

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Darkeforce" wrote in message
It's just like Microsoft to make something that isn't completely
backwards-compatable.

I don't see how something like this wasn't caught in beta-testing.

What about it, experts? Can I at least get an honest answer of "I don't
know"?

"Exhibit Imaging" wrote:

Hi Darkeforce... I've been posting on this exact behavior. I've tried
both
ways of associating the files. All I get is "pat" answers from the
"experts"
who clearly haven't read my post... in the same way they obviously didn't
read your post. I've cruised the intenet looking for answers and there
seen
to be a lot of people asking the ery same question.... no one id
answering...

"Darkeforce" wrote:

When I click to open DOC files, it opens in MS Works wordprocessor,
which I
don't like at all. When I try to associate DOC files with Word 2007
(winword.exe), either by right-clicking and using "Open with", or by
selecting "Default Programs" from the Start Menu and setting file
associations, it doesn't show Word 2007 as a possible option, and
browsing to
it manually still won't make it a possible option - Office Word never
shows
up in the "other programs" list, and clicking OK after browsing to it
doesn't
change the association away from MS Works.

Additionally, Office 2007 doesn't show up in the "Set default programs"
list, either, so you can't set all Word formats to open with Word 2007
that
way.

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

I don't think you can associate .doc files with a particular version
of Word
in XP either. And you may not need to. I have XP with both W2003
and W2007
loaded on my computer. When I start a file from Explorer--by double
clicking
it or right clicking and choosing open--Word will open it in
whichever
version was opened last. Word behaved this way with the operating
system
before XP as well.

I just checked the file associations on my computer; all the Word
file
extensions are associated with "Microsoft Office Word".

Are you saying that your computer doesn't behave this way. If not,
please
describe what does happen.

PamC

Darkeforce wrote:
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools WILL
NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open DOC
files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and selecting
Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word 2007 as
one of
the possible options for DOC files.

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

I'm using Vista Home Premium