Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Why can't I associate DOC files with Word 2007?

I really thought y'all were paid MS employees...

It's a common misconception, and it's further complicated by the fact that
many users arrive here (wherever "here" is) by clicking on something in the
Help file on their own computer that suggests they can get more help from
Microsoft. I think at some point there's wording such as "Get help from
other users," but many users don't notice this.

In many cases, though, you wouldn't get much better help even if you *were*
getting it straight from the horse's mouth. Sometimes there are issues that
the users who are dealing with them actually know more about than any of us
(other users) *or* them (MS employees)--especially bugs that have recently
arisen as a result of an update, for example.

As for your specific issue, I'm not sure whether it's more a Word or a
Windows (Vista?) issue, but the behavior you're seeing is certainly
puzzling. I can see how users like me, who are running Word 2003 and 2007
side by side, would want .doc files opened by Word 2003 and .docx files by
Word 2007 (I'm having the opposite problem--my system insists on wanting to
open .xls attachments with Excel 2007 and hangs in the process), but I can't
imagine why you would not even be offered the option of associating .doc
files with Word 2007.

"Exhibit Imaging" wrote in
message ...
HI Robert...

I cam in, (if I remember correctly), by clicking on support in the MS Word
section of the main Microsoft website. I hope you read my appology
above...
I really thought y'all were paid MS employees...

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Exhibit Imaging wrote:
[..]
One: It would be great to see this under each of your signitures, or at
the
top of each page:

"This is a non Microsoft site,
All MVP Moderators are Volunteers"

could you describe exactly how you accessed this site/newsgroup? Did you
hit some help button from within Word, or came directly from a MSFT
website, such as:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

Greetinx
Robert