Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Report Creation

What version of Word are you using?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"David Robinson" wrote in message
Hello,

I just changed jobs from grocery store manager to 8th grade English
teacher.
I am not unfamiliar with basic use of Word but I want to streamline some
things.

The teachers have to generate 5 different types of reports. Each report
has
4-5 sections that are the same every time:
- A header
- Table of contents
- Description of the course or program (optional)
- Grade, effort, change in status table
- Parental acceptance and signature area

It also has areas that each teacher may want to add that are standard or
unique to the teacher's requirements. In total this means there may be
anywhere from 5-12 sections in each report. Today there reports are
nearly
all generated manually by cut & paste from old versions. This creates a
crazy mishmash which each teacher then has to sort out to make some
semblance of a cohesive document. It gets even harder to get these done
when a new teacher comes along - like me.

So what I want to do is create some sort of standardized report generation
system. I don't even know if Word is the right place to do this but since
the existing docs are all in Word already it seems like the right place to
start. Ideally I'd like to have all of the report components stuffed into
single doc. When a teacher opens the doc should be able to easily
identify
the sections that they need and don't need. I've tried simply putting
them
together as one long doc but this makes section removal pretty tedious.
What I'd really like is a way to have a shorthand list of sections that
the
teachers could just select the sections they want and save that into their
new report.

I think....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
Dave