Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Report Creation

Ah! I was thinking they were used as "empty lines" for typing. If you
examine the built-in Cover Pages you'll find they use a combination of Word
tables and text boxes. I tend to use a borderless Word table for these types
of layouts. I find a borderless Word table lends itself to more precise
positioning and control over the layout.

Additionally, since you are using a Title and document creator, the built-in
Cover Pages also use bound Document Property fields for data such as the
Title and the document creator. When you enter data in these controls they
also update the File Properties and it makes it easy to repeat information
in other areas of the document since changing it in one control will
automatically update the others. (For example if you want to add the Report
Title to the header or footer). If that's something you are interested in
these can be found on the Insert tab under Quick Parts/Document Property.

Also, if you want to use the other types of controls (called Content
Controls) you see used in the built-in Cover Pages, such as the Calendar
control, the "Type here" controls, drop down lists, etc these are found on
the Developers tab. This tab is turned off by default so if you don't see
it, click the Office Button, click Word Options, and in the Popular section,
select "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"David Robinson" wrote in message
I guess I'm showing my 'novice Word user' side.

The extra paragraphs were used to position text for the letterhead at the
top, the report title in the middle of the page, and the document creator
at
the bottom. Is there a better way to position these blocks?

"Beth Melton" wrote:

I'm not sure why you are adding empty paragraphs, but it sounds like you
need to change your Document Defaults if you want single spaced lines and
no
space before/after the paragraph. For this, on the Home tab, click the
dialog box launcher in the Paragraph group, make your spacing changes,
then
click the Default button at the bottom. Note you want to make sure your
template is open so the defaults are applied to your template and not
your
Normal template.