Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default HOW to export auto text entries ?

I agree with Graham that this is a job for mail merge. If your wife were
creating letters or emails one or two at a time, then the AutoText method
would be reasonable, but if she's creating many at once, mail merge is the
correct tool.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
A table is a table. Provided it looks like the table in the page
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm Word can use it
as a mail merge data source.
The two merge links show how to merge a data slource into a document. The
pages use labels as the merge document as labels tend to be more
complicated, but the same principles apply to merge a data source into a
letter.
The easiest solution is as I indicated, to use Outlook to store your
contact names.

CAPTGNVR wrote:
DEAR GRAHAM

Read all the links and it was useful for mail merge. Thanks for same.

What I am trying to find out is to find a way to have a table of
NAMES from where I can insert the names where I want in the document.
Though Miss Suzanne guidance was of success, I am still trying to
avoid this auto text entries bcos it is cumbersome to update if names
are changed. Whereas if I have it as a table then I can just delete
or add new name or phrases as required. Pls advice.

BR/CAPTGNVR

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

This is an application for mail merge. Either put the list of names
etc in a Word table with a header row to provide fieldname(s) or
store the entries in Outlook (using categories to identify them as
peculiar to the application - or even a second contacts list
defibned as an e-mail address book) and then simply merge the list
into a document. See
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm and for the
data sources - see
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm (which
shows what the table should look like) and
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

CAPTGNVR wrote:
DEAR SUZANNE

This is marvellous at your prompt replies and it is such a pleasure.

The functionality I am trying for is to help my wife to make a word
document where she has to

1. send about 60 emails with meeting invitation by addressing each
person by their designation and titles.

2. address various personalities names with designation and titles
frequently when she makes reports and minutes of the meeting.

So I am trying to solve this by providing a list of 100 names or so
which will constantly vary, whereby she can just click on the name
to insert it in the word document. For ex:

Dear M.J.F Lion Dr. P.M.K. WILSON

The monthly meeting will be held at hotel Hyatt on 30th August and
please make yourself available.

Regards/Secretary

I have tried this with mail merge for taking the print outs but
trying to get the names inserted easily instead of typing each big
names so often.

Hope this explains my requirement.

BRGDS/CAPTGNVR

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what functionality you're trying for. You
could use an AutoTextList field (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm) in a given
template (after selecting the appropriate entry in a given document
based on the template you could unlink the field with
Ctrl+Shift+F9), or you could display the AutoText toolbar in the
template; keeping in mind that the entries available will depend on
the style at the insertion point.

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
DEAR SUZANNE

Good Day. Totally understood the concept and sure of executing it
and thanks for same.

Alternatively, what will be easy and more user friendly will be to
have it VB code to get a drop down list box or combo box and
select the names to inserted at the cursor and after which the
list box should disappear. Is it
too much to ask for??

This way she can keep updating the names without having the need
to keep changing the auto text entries.

BRGDS/CAPTGNVR

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In Word 2003 or earlier, look at Tools | Options | File Locations
to find the path to Word's Startup folder. Any template your wife
saves there will
automatically be loaded at startup (along with Normal.dot), so
any AutoText
entries it contains will be added to those in Normal.dot. All
this will be
automatic and transparent to the user (the only time you'd notice
anything
different is if you changed the "Look in" setting in Insert |
AutoText | AutoText from "All active templates" to either
Normal.dot or the add-in template).

The alternative is for your wife to save the AutoText template
you have provided in My Documents (or elsewhere--it will be
needed only temporarily),
open it for editing, and then use the Organizer to transfer the
AutoText entries from that template to Normal.dot. Once you've
done this, you can delete the AutoText template if desired.

Not that you need it for this task, but you might be interested
in reading
"What do Templates and Add-ins store?" at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message

DEAR SUZANNE

First of all thanks for such quick response and it was such a
relief.

I understood till where to start a new doc; save it as a new
template; open
add-ins; and organizor etc.

Do you mind giving a bit more explanation or steps for your
line "She can
either put it in Word's Startup folder as an add-in .....".

Since it is late here, I will try the rest tomoro and send the
file to my
wife and see if she can reverse the organizer.

Will give u the feedback after I get the comments from home.
Once again
thanks for the good start.

brgds/captgnvr
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

AutoText entries are saved in templates. By default they are
saved in Normal.dot, but you don't want to share that with your
wife, as it would
override her settings. So, assuming you both have Word 2003 or
earlier,
create a new template (you can name it AutoText), then open
Tools | Templates and Add-ins and click Organizer. Assuming you
have your new template open for editing, you should see it on
the left side and Normal.dot on the right. Select the AutoText
tab, then select the AutoText
entries in Normal.dot that are not just the standard Normal.dot
ones (that
is, the ones you have created), and copy them to your new
template.

Save your template and give it to your wife (via any ordinary
means of transfer). She can either put it in Word's Startup
folder as an add-in or
reverse the Organizer process to copy the entries into her
Normal.dot. FWIW,
saving AutoText entries in a separate add-in template can be a
good idea;
if
you ever have to blow Normal.dot away to solve application
problems, you
won't lose the entries (though you can certainly retrieve them
using the
Organizer even if you do have to rename Normal.dot to solve a
problem).

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in
message
DEAR ALL

I have a list of about 50 names with titles and designations.

I want to send this as word file to my wife as an auto text
entries, so
that
she need not type these names each time.

Pls sugest the best way to do; as auto text entry or any other
better
way
do the same.

BR/CAPTGNVR