Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Argh! Word2007 protection still disables functions willy-nilly

Cindy M. wrote:
Hi Jay,

I've been experimenting with this (a.k.a. "playing around" g). I
didn't have any trouble inserting a continuous section break at the
end of either a Rich Text content control or a Plain Text content
control. Inserting a continuous section break in the middle of the
text in a control split the control in two, just the way a section
break splits a table.

Funny, I'm not seeing what you describe.

I started like this:

1. Type the "boiler-plate" into the document. Do any necessary Layout
formatting (such as columns)

2. Ctrl+A, then click the "Rich text" control type.

3. Select other text sections that should be editable and choose the
appropriate control type (usually RichText).

4. Now set the properties of the outer control to not allow editing
or deletion of the control.

In my scenario, a section break doesn't "break" a (rich text) control
(I didn't try with any other kind, since by definition I don't think
plain text would support one). Section breaks at the end of a control
couldn't be deleted. I could also add section breaks within a
control.

I think the important part is to use "enough" content controls to
allow for protecting what needs to be protected...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Yes, I think you're right. I hadn't thought to enclose the entire document
in a content control and then "exempt" pieces with nested controls. Probably
I should have, since that's the way editing protection works in 2003. I'm
away from my Office 2007 system now, but I'll try that this evening.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman