Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default Is AutoComplete feature for AutoText Entry available in Word20

I've tried that on one of the pcs and when I open VBE, it doesn't have
anything else but the Immediate pane. I put that statement in, closed VBE,
and then tried the date after closing Word 2007 and re-opening. It still
didn't AutoComplete. I can open my log on that pc and then it autocompletes,
but then I close it and it doesn't autocomplete.

On my machine, I open the log and it autocompletes. I close that log, and
try the date and it still autocompletes. When I open VBE on my machine, I
have 3 panes: One says Normal - Project. The second window has General and
then some macros I had done, and the third window is the Immediate.

If I go in and add the statement only putting False at the end on my window,
Auto-Complete stops working. I changed it back to True and it works again.

I don't know if there are any other settings that need to be checked for
this to work on. The pc it is not working on was installed with SMS Client
while my machine was loaded manually. Can that have anything to do with it?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If it is available on some 2007 equipped PCs and not others, then on those
that it doesn't work

1. Press Alt+F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor (VBE).

2. Press Ctrl+G to activate/open the Immediate window (bottom of VBE
window).

3. Enter the following (or copy from below and paste):

Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = True

4. Press Return at the end of the line.

5. You can now close the VBE window (Alt+Q or File Close and Return to
Microsoft Word).

Kathy wrote:
OK, I am totally confused! I just started using Word 2007. I have a
document that I have used for years as a log, and AutoComplete still
works in it. I can open a new Word document and it still works. I
start typing in the first 4 letters of the month, and I get an
AutoComplete tip that says to enter today's date, press Enter key.

We've installed it on a bunch of computers at work and some work while
others don't. I can't figure out what is making this happen.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

You can assign another shortcut key instead of F3. Click Office
button Word Options Customize, then click the keyboard Customize
button in the lower left of the dialog. Choose 'All Commands' in the
Categories list, then choose InsertAutoText in the Commands list.
Click on F3 in the current keys list and click the Remove button;
then click in the "Press new shortcut key" box and press whatever
shortcut you want, and click the Assign key.

What you can't do, unfortunately, is force Word to restore the
AutoComplete tips. They're just not available.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 09:07:01 -0800, Laura K
wrote:

Thanks, Suzanne, but unfortunatley, F3 is the fast forward command
for my transcription system, so that won't work. Also, too many of
my entries could potentially have the same letters, such as
myocardial infarction and minimally invasive, "MI". That's why the
autocorrect feature was such a godsend. I could add many common
phrases and be sure I was not mistakenly adding one that was not
correct.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can still type the first few letters of the AutoText entry
name and press F3 (not requiring a trip to the BB Organizer).

http://word.mvps.org

"Laura K" Laura wrote in message
I agree. Transcriptionists all over the world must be cussing
right along with me! I transcribe letters for doctors who repeat
the same phrases over
and over. The autocomplete feature in autotext was such a time
saver. The autotext feature in 2007 does not work well for many
of my entries, such as
physician addresses and the building blocks are impossible to
insert on the
fly. I have to stop typing, go to Quick Parts, go to the Builing
Blocks Organizer, find the building block and then click insert.
With autocomplete,
I would be able to start typing the text, it would pop up, I
would hit enter
and keep on typing. While I understand what Microsoft was trying
to do with
the building blocks, they really dropped the ball by omitting the
autocomplete feature as it was in 2003. My work is taking twice
as long now.

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry
that was available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to
activate it (if it is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto
Text.

Any tips?