Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
shank

Default multi-level bullet lists

How do I get the styles to maintain the bullet indents, format etc.?
When I try to save a new style by underlying attributes, they are not
retained.
I try to update the style - no good.
I try to open the style dialog box, then the fomat menu - but tabs and many
others are greyed out.
How do I set all that in a style?
thanks!

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...
The safest way to set up multi-level lists is to use a paragraph style for
each level. You must set the whole structure up from the *top* level
style, following Shauna Kelly's instructions at

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

The toolbar decrease/increase buttons, when used within a list, will move
between levels. (Also available on right click menu, and as Luc says you
can set option to use tab/shift tab to promote/demote level.)

If you are using styles, then applying a non-numbered style is the correct
way to stop numbering.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"shank" wrote in message
New user having fits with bullet lists.

I have a completed document and I'm trying to separate into the proper
bullet levels. I have the 1st level digits 1, 2, 3 etc, and 2nd level
letters a), b), c), etc.

Inbetween #3 and #4 I have a heading that I want to become #4. I hit the
enter key and I keep making e), f), g), etc. I've tried combinations of
CTRL, ALT, and ENTER with no luck. Can't find the solution in help
either.

How do I make that happen?

While I'm at it, how do I form new 1st level bullets?

How do I stop bullet list? double-enter works, but that just makes 2
blank lines. Should I double-enter, then backspace? Is that the right
way?

thanks!