Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Paragraph Spacing (Before and After)---Exactly

If you're required to have 2 points leading, then 14-pt spacing is what you
have to have, but if double spacing is supposed to be double that, then you
need to use 28 pts instead of 24. But what we've been trying to get across
is that there is no way you can ensure exactly 12 points space between the
actual text characters except by trial and error and measuring.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
Maybe let me rephrase. Yes, I was using S and D to stand for single
and double. Would not be the style names.

Suppose have D which I set up for 12 pt font with 24 spacing. (12 pt
leading after)
Suppose I have S which I set up for 12 pt with 14 spacing (2 pt
leading)

If I have D paragraph followed by S paragraph followed by D paragraph,
how can I figure out what spacing will give exactly 12 pt between the
S and D paragraphs????

If I make the fonts [say] 14 pt with 28 spacing for D
12 point with 16 spacing for S

Now how much space do I need to have exactly 14 pt between D and S?

In other Words, how much space is Word putting between paragraphs when
the paragraph changes? Knowing that, I can figure out how much to add.

Dealing with government rules that need exact spacing where double
spaced transtions to single and back to double. Specs call for 2 pt
leading (for font sizes of 11, 12, 13 and 14) which is bit less than
the page layout software 120%. Word appanertly uses the internal
leading of the font, so some font font leadings at 12 pt turn out less
than 2 pt. The double always turns out to be more than 2xfont height.