Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
chris

Default Restart Page No Deletes Even Page Footer

Hi All

Long document with 4-5 sections currently. Different first page.
Different odd and even pages. Significant Heading 2 usage. Next page
section break at the end of the first (title - nothing in footer)
page.

I'm inserting the page numbers as follows:
1. Click in body of page TWO
2. View, Footer (which is NOT linked to previous)
3. Click Insert Page Number button on floating toolbar
4. Highlight this entire field, then Click Format Page Number button
[choose options: Include Chapter No (Heading 2), Start at 1].

Results:
1. Even page footer on this page disappears and all of my text is
moved to page 3 which is an ODD page footer. The page no there is 1.
2. The next footer (an EVEN page footer) has page no 2.
3. Cannot do anything at all to access this entirely blank page 2.
Not even its footers. It's as if I had an ODD page section break
inserted at the end of the first page but it is still listed as a NEXT
page section break. However if I click in page 1 and go to File, Page
Setup the break is listed as 'Continuous'.

Assumptions:
. A programmer somewhere decided that if I want to start at one in a
new section, it must begin with an ODD page footer?
. Rove was right - "WHAT THE?" (apologies to non-Australian audiences;
comedy show host - recommended viewing).

Grateful:
. For your ideas, any and all - thanks.

PS Have installed the latest service pack and feel that I've seen a
step by step outline of doing then trying A B C D, etc to resolve but
cannot relocate this on the web - again if you've seen it grateful for
a url.

--
chris