Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Default Word 2003 suddenly can't open certain ".Doc" documents

Are these documents you created?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Bill D" wrote in message
Hi:

After Googling my question and finding no answer, I came here with my
problem. In the last few days I noticed that some of my Documents are not
opening properly. All of my docs have the ".Doc" extension but some of
them are opening as Plain Text and they're blank!!

I first noticed that something was amiss when I opened a document
yesterday and Word asked permission to install a converter. I hurriedly
said yes and the document opened ok. I just figured that there had been
a patch applied by Windows Update.

Today when I went to open several other docs I found that some were ok
while others were blank and seemed to have many additional pages!

On my PC Word is part of MS Office 2003. I'm running Vista Home with all
of the latest updates. Oddly I even get Windows updates for MS Office
2007 and I do not have it installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bill