Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Numbered Headings that won't retain their position.

Make sure that the indent settings are specified in the Customize
Outline Numbered List dialog box (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...umbering.html), not
in the Paragraph dialog box, and that the options referring to
WordPerfect are cleared in Tools | Options, General tab.

Also note that the "Automatically update document styles" option in
Tools | Templates and Add-Ins could cause trouble with numbered
styles; you'd better keep it turned off, if possible.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Frogmouth" wrote in message
I have set up several templates for various documents and they all

share one
one common problem that is driving me crazy.

The numbered headings keep randomly indenting.

The templates were set up with five layers of numbered headings (H1

through
H5). All the headings were positioned hard left with no indent.
Everything about the templates works well - except the random

indenting of
the headings. Just one of the headings (usually H2 or H3) will

indent for no
apparent reason. When a document, based on the template is opened,

all the H2
or H3 headings will be indented by 7cm or so.

Usually, if I tick the 'Automatically update the Document Styles'

tick box
in the 'Templates and Add-ins' dialogue box it corrects the error -

but not
always. Sometimes I have to import the style from another document.

Any ideas, anyone.

Thanks in anticipation,