Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Subparagraph numbering: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and so on

The quick way to set up such a numbering scheme in Word 2007 with heading
paragraph styles is to click the Home tab of the ribbon, click Multilevel
List, and then choose the "1 Heading 1 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.1 Heading 3"
format, found under "List Library."

If this isn't a simple case of "legal" heading numbering, do the following
instead: Click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. Word
displays a dialog box similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List of Word
2003; in the dialog box, you can define all aspects of numbering
(number format, indentation, linked paragraph styles, etc.). For more, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

To modify a numbering scheme that was created with one of the above methods,
you would place the insertion point in the first top level item of the list,
and click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List.

~~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Deejay" wrote in message
Thank you. Sorry I should have said I am using Word 2007.

I am also struggling to format the numbers in an existing document so that
subparagraphs change automatically depending on the main paragraph number.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

For Word 2003, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

If you are using Word 2007, post back.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Deejay" wrote in message
Hi, how do I cause subparagraphs to be numbered 1.1, 1.2 and so on for
subparagraphs of parargraph 1, 2.1, 2.2 for subs of paragraph 2 and so
on?

I would like them to be so numbered so that if I press tab on the
paragraph
after 2 it should be become 2.1 instead of a. as it does at the moment.
also want the para number to update if the main paragraph number
changes.

Many thanks.