Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Searching for anything BUT a particular character

Hi Jay.
I use this find formula all the time but I wonder if you can help with an
extention of this wildcard use.
How can I get this to not just to ignore Periods (Full Stop) immediately
followed by paragraph mark, but also Question Marks and Colons at the same
time?
Many thanks for your assistance.
DeanH

"Idaho Word Man" wrote:

Thanks. You've just opened up a new world of possibilities for me.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Turn on wildcard searching and use the search term

([!.])^13

and the replacement term

\1.^p

The expression [!.] means "any character that isn't a period". See
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Idaho Word Man wrote:
I have a very large document (currently 644 pages) that was written
by a flatulent weasel who thinks punctuation is only for liberal arts
majors and other wimps. One of his very common errors is to omit
periods at the end of paragraphs.

Is there any way to search for "*^p" where * stands for any character
BUT a period? If I could systematically search for all paragraphs
that end with anything but a period I could make sure I don't miss
any instances of this error. (I've already deleted Space^p and
Space-Space^p.)

I'm still using Word 2003 on XP Professional.

Thanks,

Fred