Possibly the formatting is available only for characters in Text style?

"brendan" wrote in message
news
How can I bold a symbol in an Equation object in Word 2003? The Word help

on
the equation editor web states:

"Notes
You can modify the font, font size, position (for example, subscript or
superscript), or format (normal, bold, or italic) of characters or symbols

by
selecting them and then choosing commands from the Style and Size menus."

but I can never seem to be able to bold a symbol inside the equation ?
Everything else in the equation object works fine.