Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
constant_wonder constant_wonder is offline

Default page numbers = "ERROR MAIN DOCUMENT ONLY", bug with cross-refe

Thanks! I followed the link, and it told me to save the doc as a web page and
then back to a doc format. That fixed all the weirdness in the
headers/footers!

Bless you for your help!
~Amber

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

I could make up a theory that your headers/footers have become corrupted, as
all errors are connected to them. This sounds vaguely possible. Complex
documents (like yours) also increases the chances of corruption.

ON A COPY of the your document, try these tips for fixing corruption:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

Tracking Changes in headers/footers but not the main text definitely sounds
like corruption, as I don't think it's possible to get Word to do that in
the ordinary way of things.

Why do you need cross-references in the headers? What are they
cross-references to?

On 8/30/06 10:44 AM, "constant_wonder" wrote:

I have a 200+ page doc, with 20+ sections. I am having problems with adding
cross-reference links in the headers, and instead get "ERROR MAIN DOCUMENT
ONLY".

I also get the same message when I try to add page numbers. It is NOT a mail
merge doc, and I stopped tracking changes with the toolbar icon, but Word
kept tracking them in the headers and footers. When I try to accept (or
reject) all changes, Word crashes every time.

Is my doc somehow corrupt, or can someone explain this to me?

Thanks.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/