The only way you're going to do this in Word is manually, I'm afraid. So
prepare yourself to edit the TOC manually.

"Greg Pearson" wrote in message
"Charli" wrote:

8. On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Format Page Number.
9. In the Number format box, click the format that you want for the

numbers
in this section.

The problem is that #-#.# is not a supported numbering format. Format

Page
Number only allows two distinct numbers and I need three (chapter, page,

and
point page). That's the issue: How to use a page numbering format that

Word
doesn't support without screwing up the ToC and Index.

As to changing the format, that's not an option. The engineering

department
has been putting out this publication in this format on an annual basis

since
the 1950s. They're not going to change it just because Word doesn't like

it.
I'm more likely to convince the IT department to switch to Word Perfect

than
I am to convince Engineering to change their page numbering scheme. Of
course, what will really happen is that we'll end up having to disable the
automatic ToC and Indexing features and enter all the page numbers by

hand.
But it would be nice to find a way to avoid that, if we could.