Ant

Default How do I remove US english from the spell check?

There are two salient points here. Firstly you are implying that I have
accidentally somehow applied English (U.S.) to the new document so that I get
both US and UK English. I have opened a new document and that is the
situation. Is there a way that I can get a new document to open in that
state?

Secondly, and probably more importantly, your regional settings are US. I
am 100% convinced that all you are describing would work if my home settings
were US and not UK. I don't believe Word has been tested with UK regional
settings.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If I apply a language in a document, the language appears above the line (in
the MRU list) for that Word session. If I restart Word, only English (U.S.)
remains there.

"Tony Jollans" No Mail wrote in message
The languages which show above the line are the ones you have enabled.

Close all Office applications.

Go to Start All Programs Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Tools
Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings

Disable US English (and enable/disable any other languages you want) on

the
Enabled Language tab.

You should see the results next time you use Word.
--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Ant" wrote in message
Yes, English (U.K.) is selected and so is English (U.S.).
Below that is a double line and below that many other languages that are

not
selected.
In fact, what do you mean by selected? Both UK and US have an icon on

the
left with ABC and tick. Only UK has a dark grey background.

I tried 'specialize' and 'defense' too and it told me that both were

spelled
correctly.
custom.dic contains 92 words, none of them color.
I appreciate your help but get very frustrated that a simple spelling

check
does not work.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

When you select the word "color" and go to Tools | Language | Set

Language,
is English (U.K.) selected? If so, then that spelling is accepted by

the
UK
English proofing tools. If you want to disallow this spelling, you can
exclude it. See

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

FWIW, if I type "color" here and then select the word and apply

"English
(U.K.)" as the language, it is marked as misspelled. Perhaps "color"

has
been added to your Custom.dic?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ant" wrote in message
Yes. Which is fine if the language is Chinese but wrong if the

language
is a
variant of the rest of the document.
But my real problem is that if I open Word and type the word Color

it
does
not mark it as a bad spelling. Even after having followed every
instruction
to remove US from regional and Office settings. If someone could

show
me
how
to work around that 'bad' behaviour I could accept that pasted text

is
not
checked in the language of the rest of the document. It's not what

want
though of course.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Any time you open a document in which a different language is

used,
or
when
you paste in text from such a document, you will be using the

proofing
tools
for that language. When you paste in text, the language at the

insertion
point is the language of the pasted selection; if you continue

typing at
that point without changing the language, you will be using those
proofing
tools.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ant" wrote in message
I do not have, and for a long time have not had, US in my

regional
settings.
As explained in
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm
"You'll also still have problems with the document reverting

back
"bad" language while editing. There is no way to get rid of this
problem
in
an existing file, short of recreating the file."
So it is not just one unlucky user with this problem.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I have already told you earlier in the thread how to stop Word

from
checking
with US spellings.
To Remove the US regional settings
Control panel regional and language options languages
details -
select UK and delete US. It will be removed next time you

reboot.

Ant wrote:
Please tell me how to remove the US English settings then.

Is
it
registry key change?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Of course you can. My PC is set up for UK English and I

have
no
US
English set up in the regional settings.

Ant wrote:
Graham,
For other languages you are right, but for English English

for
England this is not correct. You can not remove the US

English
for
America setting. Antony
PS I would dearly love this bug to be fixed.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The default language for Word is that set in Windows

regional
settings. Word will only spell check using the language

defined
for
the text - see tools language set language (set to UK
English
or whatever) and uncheck the box 'Detect language
automatically'.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS

word,
so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept

it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct
spelling.