Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bodye Bodye is offline

Default Footer problem

Hi Doug,

I looked up style ref and it said this

By using the STYLEREF field in a header, you can display and print at the
top of each page the first and last items that appear on that page.

I'm not sure how I could use this, as I don't want to include the first and
last items on the page into the header & footer. I want instead to have one
phrase in the footer (or header), which is the unit title, and then a page
number which will run through several other documents as well.

I have looked at the idea of master and sub documents, but am not sure how
this would work.

Can you please elaborate on why you suggested using {STYLEREF}?

Thanks very much

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Check out the use of the { STYLEREF } field.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bodye" wrote in message
I am using word to create a whole lot of 'units' of work, each of which is
kind of like a chapter. Then a combination of these units can be combined
into one book.

The problem is that I want the footer to include the name of the unit BUT
also want to have consecutive page numbers throughout the book (including
working contents page on the front of each unit).

So each footer must have info specific to that unit, AND generalised to
the
whole book.

I would like this process (if it is even possible) to be as automated as
possible. I don't want to have to go into every unit and change the
footers.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Also, when the units are combined into a book the book is PDF'd, if this
helps.

Thanks