Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jose Valdes Jose Valdes is offline

Default Three almost identical manuals

Jay and Robert,

Thanks for the good advice. I had the feeling that I was solving this
problem the long way, and your suggestions have confirmed it.

In my new approach, I plan to create the following character styles:
ManualA, ManualB, and ManualC. If I need to print A, I'll add the Hidden
attribute to the B and C character styles. Of course the same goes for
printing B or C.

Robert, I'm not sure if I understood the issue you described with style
based numbering. Thanks for the warning anyway. Now, I'll avoid hiding any
auto-numbering. For example, if I need to have three different versions of
the same table, these three tables will share the same caption, which
includes the table number.

Thanks!

José

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi Jose

Jose Valdes wrote:
Does feature exist already somewhere? Am I on the right track?

An alternative is to use the "hidden" text property. If you only have two
versions of your document, application is really easy: you set that
property to the text which must not appear in the smaller document, and
toggle the "printability" of hidden text in Tools | Options | Print.

If the setup gets more complicated, things can become tricky. Of course
it's a good idea to include the hidden property in a unique style and
again either toggel like above, or toggle the hidden property of the style
itself.

Biggest gotcha with that is if your numbering is style based. Or rather,
if your numbering is variable through the different versions. Then, no
matter whether you are using list templates or SEQ fields, this approach
is probably not feasible any more.

2cents
Robert
--