Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Default How do I get chapter numbering to appear in cross referencing?

No, you didn't misunderstand. When chapter/page numbering is created
as the article describes, you'll get page numbering which includes a
chapter number. In other words, you can then *reference* an x-y format
for page numbering (for the purposes of TOC and cross-reference
creation), but you cannot use cross-references or StyleRef fields
to *create* the x-y format.

Note, however, that if you created the cross-references before you
created the x-y page number format, you may have to update your
cross-reference fields. Select the entire document and press F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ZoeElizabeth" wrote in message
Maybe I misunderstand you.

I am pretty sure that my chapter and page numbering in footers and

TOC are
set up correctly, as described in the article you linked to.

However, the
chapter number does not appear in the cross references.

Maybe I will redo and experiment.

Unless you meant I should read that article because at the end it

says:
"Using this method, the chapter number will automatically appear in

your
Table of Contents. (If you use the StyleRef field, or

cross-references, as
suggested by Word 2000's Help topic on the subject, it won't)."

Thank you for replying though !
Elizabeth