Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Robert is offline

Default MS Word problems with SP3 update

Thanks Graham,

I appreciate your thoughts on the subject,

Robert, 03-13-08 at 11:45pm PST

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

At risk in any way? The risks are probably very small indeed, but no more
than they were before the update (which is essentially a roll-up of the
updates since SP2) was released. FWIW there have been a couple of bugs
reported with SP3 and so I have not updated my own PC since SP2 and I am not
losing sleep over it.

Robert wrote:
Help Please,

Whenever I allow my computer to download and install the SP3 update
for Office, it screws up MS Word. I've presented this problem to the
"general questions forum" for Office, and have received no help to
date. So I'll try here at the "Word" forum.

Specifically, after the SP3 update is intalled, when I open Word, then
attempt to use the "Tools" button in Word at the top of the screen,
as soon as I click on the "tools" button, my computer freezes up, and
I have to control-alt-delete my way out of Word. In some cases I even
have to completely reboot my computer just to get control again.

I've isoloated this problem to the SP3 update. Since MS does not
allow for an "uninstall" of this specific update, I have to
completely remove the installation of MS Office 2003 in add/remove
programs, ..... then completely reinstall MS Office 2003 form the CD,
then go through and get all the updates again .... However I block
the SP3 update from installing.

Once I do that, MS Word works just fine, and no problems when I
attempt to use the "tools" button................but sure enough,
I've experimented several times, I allow the SP3 update to download
and install, and the same problems occur again. So then I have to
completely uninstall Office 2003 yet again, then reinstall
completely. What a pain in the rear.

So now, I just never allow the SP3 update to downloand and install.
The problem is obviously being caused by this specific update from
Microsoft. I install all the other updates, just not SP3, and all
works just fine.

Question # 1 - by not allowing this SP3 update to install, is my
computer at risk in any way?

Question # 2 - If question #1's answer is yes, how does one fix this
problem with this update so my computer is not at risk, and so MS
Word functions properly?

Thanks for any help with this,

Robert
03/13/08 at 8:42pm PST