Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Saving table of contents options for a template

I have a template that contains no text. I use it strictly for setting
styles and the content that goes into headers and footers. What I want
to accomplish is to setup the formatting of the table of contents (TOC)
so that when a document is created from this template and a TOC is
inserted into the document, the TOC is formatted the way I set it up in
the template.

I have generally two problems. The first problem is that when I click
on the options button in the Table of Contents dialog, I remove the
styles Title and some others that I don"t want. Now I don't have any
text in my document that a TOC can be created from, so an error message
appears when Word attempts to insert the TOC. That should not be a
problem since I don't want any text. But when I go back and view the
options again, those styles I removed are still selected. How is this?
I don't want a title in my TOC but one ends up getting put in the TOC
in a document created from this template.

The other thing I don't understand is why some styles even appear in
the list of styles in the options dialog. I created a style called
Title1. Why does it even appear in this list? Does Word simply list all
the styles in my document in this list?

Thanks for your help
Johann Blake