Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
krazykat krazykat is offline

Default Word 2003 Global template and "Running Virus Scan

Word 2003 Global template and "Running Virus Scan"

When I start word 2003 I see the message at the bottom of the screen
"running virus scan" and there is a delay in opening to a blank document. I
want to get rid of the "Running Virus Scan" and the delay.

WHAT I HAVE DONE:

My web and Microsoft searches indicate the "Running virus scan is associated
with commercial anti virus programs, e.g. Norton AV or Grisoft AV. I do not
have either on my machine (WIN2k PRO) and I have verified nether of the files
officeav.dll or avgoff2k.dll exist on my hard drive or in my Registry. I do
use the Norton Corporate AV security program but it does not have a "office
plug" capability. I also use Zone alarm pro which has an anti-spam
capability and an anti virus feature. The Zone Alarm AV feature is just a
monitor of the workings of any other AV programs. I turned off both features
in Zone Alarm with no affect to the Word 2003 "Running Virus Scan".

I CAN remove the "Running Virus Scan" by using the "/a" switch in the WORD
start command. With this switch included, WORD starts in a flash with NO
"Running Virus Scan". The /a switch disables running global templates and
macros at WORD start up.

I can achieve the same affect by removing the 5 global template files from
the Global Templates and addin window (Tools, Templates and ADD-IN, Global
templates and Add-in window). None of the 5 files in the Global templates
and Add-in window appear to be associated with any AV program, but they do
reside in Windows\startup and OFFICE11\START up sub folders.

Changed the macro security to "LOW".

Added the /m switch to the start command.

This reduced the delay in opening but the "running virus scan" is still
there with a delay.

I do not have NORTON AV installed

WHAT I WANT TO DO:

Find a way to start Word without the "running virus scan" message and delay.

What is the connection between the "/a" switch and/ or having an empty
Global Templates window and removal of the "Running Virus Scan" message at
WORD start??

I have run out of things to try and need need more horsepower and experience
to solve this problem.

What is the solution?

THANKS!!