Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
krazykat krazykat is offline

Default Word 2003 Global template and "Running Virus Scan

Graham,

I did a search of both my hard drive AND my registery for the "officeav.dll"
file.
The scan produced negatve results --- the file is not present.

I had also seen Beth's comment about .wll files. Again a scan of my hard
drive did produce one .wll file. The file was not associated with end notes
(I have never used end notes) but with a program called PROCite (program for
formating footnotes and end notes). I renamed the .wll file to .wlx (rather
than remove). Results were the same --- "Running Virus Scan" at sratr up as
long as there is a .dot file in the global templates window.

So there appears to be some type of connection between the .dot files in the
global templates window and the "Running Virus Scan" that is not related to
Anti Virus program. No one seems to know the connection.

I am open to any other suggestion to try.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Office MVP Beth Melton recently reported her discovery that "If there are
any WLL add-ins in the Startup folders they will trigger this message even
if the user doesn't have any type of virus scanner enabled. Apparently, MS
is using the virus scanning engine to check for macros in WLL files and as a
result it triggers the message. Note other than checking for macros it isn't
actually performing a virus scan....One add-in I know of that still uses a
WLL is EndNote." So you might check your Word and Office Startup folders for
..wll files.

krazykat wrote:
Tony,

Thanks for the tip. I did check the (Start Run enter,
"services.msc".

There was one "service" running for Norton AV CORPORATE EDITION". I
have all ready verified that the CORPORATE EDITION does not have the
"office plug in" and does not interact with WORD.

But, as a check, I disabled the service for Norton AV CORPORATE
EDITION and started WORD. Same results ----- "Running Virus Scan".
Restarted the Norton AV CORPORATE EDITION, same results ---- "Running
...."

There were no other "SERVICES" running that I could identify as
belonging to any Anti Virus programs.

May be someone can suggest othe things to try. ANY ONE?

Does WORD produce a "start up log" file that logs the detail steps and
sequence of events at WORD start?

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Clearly you have some sort of AV program running scan on demand. If
not Norton or Grisoft it must be some other.

I am not very knowledgeable about this so someone may correct me,
but I don't think that there is any need for an office-specific
addin to enable this so if Norton is on your machine it may well
scan all files in all applications; there is probably an option (in
the AV program) to switch the scan off. It should be possible to
check what you have somehow in Windows but I don't know how - you
could try looking at the running services to see if there is
anything identifiable as scan on demand (Start Run enter
"services.msc" without the quotes and hit enter to get the list).

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"krazykat" wrote in message
Cindy,

Thanks for the reply. I removed each file 1 by 1. I received the
"Running Virus Scan" at start up at each removal; i.e. with 4, then
3, then 2, etc. With none, there was no "Runnibg Virus Scan" and
WORD opens in a flash. I added 1 back in and received the "Running
Virus Scan". In fact, it does not matter which of the 5 is added,
any one of the 5 produce the "Running ......". Any conclusions?

Thanks

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?a3JhenlrYXQ=?=,

What is the connection between the "/a" switch and/ or having an
empty Global Templates window and removal of the "Running Virus
Scan" message at WORD start??

The /a switch prevents all Addins from loading. This includes
global templates, your Normal.dot and any COM Addins you may have
installed.

I can achieve the same affect by removing the 5 global template
files from the Global Templates and addin window (Tools,
Templates and ADD-IN, Global templates and Add-in window). None
of the 5 files in the Global templates and Add-in window appear
to be associated with any AV program, but they do reside in
Windows\startup and OFFICE11\START up sub folders.

Do you know what each of these global templates if for? Try
removing them all, the move them back in, one at a time. When the
message comes back, you'll know which one is responsible.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17
2005) http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)