Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Add page tabs to Word (like Excel)

Not disagreeing with your request--but there are many ways to navigate 200
pages of text besides scrolling.

You can use the Browse Object to automatically jump to the next section.
http://daiya.mvps.org/browseobject.htm

If you have set your doc up efficiently and logically, then you can use
Outline View or the Document Map to jump anywhere in the doc.
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingOLView.htm
http://shaunakelly.com/word/documentmap/index.html
Anyone managing 200 pages of text should certainly be using such techniques.

On 10/19/06 3:33 PM, "J Hardy" wrote:

I agree to the tabs feature. Like Excel you would create Word books or
something similar. While there are other programs to prepare manuals, etc,
Word having such a big following, would allow a writer, or specifier or a
manual maker, ( Authors) to divide the manual into chapters, or create a Mail
Merge withoher programs to provide cover letters, etc...

I think this would be easier to teach than scrolling thru 200 plus pages of
text to find information, etc.

Great idea. i had an epiphany and I am glad some people are thinking the
same thing.

Thank you

"Mark Thompson" wrote:

Now that IE 7 has the concept of Tabs, and Excel has the concept of multiple
Sheets in one workbook, I'd like to suggest that Word incoroporate that same
functionality.

It would be really nice to be able to create tabs, or "chapters", in a Word
document, and to be able to move quickly and easily between chapters by
clicking on their tabs, just like clicking on the tab for an Excel sheet.
Chapters in a book, sections in a proposal, pages in a briefing book, I can
think of several uses. Each chapter, or section, or whatever you want to
call it, would have a tab across the top of the work area.

This could also help with paging during printing. Perhaps an option for
each tab/chapter could be "Always start printing the information on this tab
at the top of a printed page".

Thank you.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...d=95d683dd-07a
6-49e8-b5b0-5878bbe6f2c6&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/