Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ashok Kothare[_2_] Ashok Kothare[_2_] is offline

Default Indian language fonts to be included as default fonts in windo

Dear Grammatim, you are very sure that everything has been done to make
windows suitable to write in Indian languages. I am afraid you are not
correct. Another point you have put is that unicode has been finalized for
Indian languages is also not correct. If you see unicodes used by fonts such
as 'mangal' you will see that they are not placed on the unicodes
recommended for Indian languages but they are put on other nondescript
unicode places. If windows do that how that can be justified? I want
Microsoft to be a perfect instrument to get proper unicodes to be used for
these languages. I will add one more page to my blog soon to show you the
difference in what unicodes are used by microsoft Indian fonts and what are
the actuall unicodes offered by the unicode. I want to know why microsoft is
doing this? Is it justified to put fonts of a langauge on wrong unicodes? My
intentions are that let us do something that is, in given times, helpful to
users in India. Please do not misunderstand me. I want to know what Bob has
to say. Please visit my blog after 8 days to avoid any misunderstanding. I
have internet server problem here and that makes it difficult to do posting
in time sorry for that. Remember, we Indians wish to use english version of
windows and want to write our messages in Indian languages since that is most
convenient at this time. We often toggle between both languages and for that
english version is most suitable. with regards.

"grammatim" wrote:

Well, to get the link, I had to go to Bob Buckland's message.

The "essay" contains a great deal of blather. I gather "orkut" is an
Indian ISP?

You seem to have two points. (1) Transliteration is not necessary.

(2) Windows cannot properly handle Indian scripts.

(1) is a matter of opinion and is correct in some circumstances,
incorrect in others.

(2), as I and others told you more than half a year ago, is simply
incorrect. Every version of Windows since I-don't-know-when has
provided full support for typing in the 11 standard scripts of India
(roman, Nagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Bengali, Oriya, Kannada, Telugu,
Tamil, Malayalam, Urdu), with a dedicated keyboard for each. All of
them have been included in Unicode since Version 1.0 nearly 20 years
ago.

On Sep 14, 5:09 am, Ashok Kothare
wrote:
I am very sorry that the page on my blog was written next day due to internet
problem at my end. Now you can read my article on the page Transliteration
and please write back for your comments here and also if possible on the
comment box of the blog. That page shall remain on the blog for some time
now, for all interested observers. Friend Grammtin, please note.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Ashok,

Can you provide the link to the specific document you're referring to in your post? The Transliteration article on your blog at
http://kothareashok.blog.co.in/transliteration/
basically says 'coming soon'.

"Ashok Kothare" Ashok wrote in message
Friends, I am resuming the dialogue after about seven months. Somebody told
me that transliteration is the answer to the problem of Indian language
inclusion as default font. I have studied the suggestion and come with reply.
that reply is in details and so I have put it on my blog. Please visit my
blog to read it. It is a research paper too lengthy for this box. URL of my
blog
http://kothareashok.blog.co.in
and you may reply to it on this site as well as on the comment box.