Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Booklet Printing from Word 2007 Document

I think that still leaves an open question about whether or not the OP wants
to reduce them.

"grammatim" wrote in message
Nope -- see the initial query in this thread: "I have a number of
documents I have in Word 2007. I would like to print these in booklet
form."

On Sep 21, 6:34 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
It does depend on what you're trying to do, of course, and you can use the
"Zoom to print" setting in Word for what you're trying to do, but the
questions here are about creating a booklet from scratch.

"grammatim" wrote in message

Ugh, that's awful! When I've made a page, I've made it look the way I
want it! If it gets "reflowed," it can't possibly be for the better!
Preumably if you choose "Book Fold" before starting, you're working in
the miniature format from the start, so WYSIWYG. But that won't be
useful for someone who wants to print an existing multipage document
as a booklet. For them, Reader is the way to go. (I've printed quite a
few google books as 32-page-signature sets of booklets, and two guides
for giant fonts of ancient characters as single 84-page booklets. When
I discovered this booklet printing capability last year, I bought a
long-reach stapler that puts staples right on the fold.)

On Sep 21, 4:01 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I take it you have not tried this? When you choose "Book fold," Word
formats
the page into two 5.5" x 8.5" pages. If you had already created the
document, it reflows your text into those pages at the same size, with
the
same margins, which is why you need to reduce the margins and (probably)
the
font size.

Both "Book fold" and "2 pages per sheet" in Page Setup are quite
different
from "2 pages per sheet" in the Print dialog, which reduces a full page
half-page size. The "2 pages per sheet" and "Book fold" settings create
two
small pages from one full-sized one.

"grammatim" wrote in message

When you reduce a page to fit two of them onto a booklet sheet, you
reduce the type to near-unreadability!

Don't tell me that in order to do a booklet in Word, you need to be
working on 5.5 x 8.5 page size to start with?

On Sep 21, 9:11 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Why do you say increase the type size? I generally use smaller type on
smaller pages/in narrower columns. In most cases 12-pt is okay for
either
full page or a half page in a directory or "yearbook," but for a
printed
7"
x 9" book, I usually find 11-pt more suitable.

"grammatim" wrote in message

Reduce the margins and increase the type size.

On Sep 20, 11:47 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I usually use the "All" choice for "Sheets per booklet." Just keep
in
mind
that they need to be a multiple of 4. Unless you have a printer that
duplexes automatically, your best bet is to print just one side of a
page
and duplex by photocopying, but you could experiment with Word's
"Manual
duplex" setting.

As for the number of pages, when you go to create a booklet, keep in
mind
that you will probably want to reduce the margins and type size from
what
you would use for a full-sized page.

David wrote in
messagenews:mm1bd457k6itunt9o2ni8rrb2n057fguln@4ax .com...
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:36:12 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Have you tried the "Book fold" feature that is built into Word? On
the
Margins tab of Page Setup, choose "Book fold" for "Multiple
pages."
Word
will set up your document with two pages per sheet. You will
create
the
pages in ordinary numerical order, but Word will print them in the
order
required for folding into a booklet.

This feature works reasonably well provided you are printing the
entire
booklet. Most users report disappointing results trying to reprint
specific
pages. For another approach, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm. This
method
will
work in any version.

You can also set this up manually using "2 pages per sheet" in the
"Multiple
pages" dropdown. This will create pages in numerical order, and
you
can
print them in the required order by entering 8, 1, 2, 7, 6, 3, 4,
5
in
the
"Pages" box in the Print dialog. There is also a macro at the
above-referenced site that automates this process.

Suzanne:

The method you described using Word 2007's "Book Fold" feature
works
well. The number of pages increases, but that was good as Word
apparently adjusted to make the printed copy quite readable.

However, how can I force Word to just print the front or back side
of
the document? The test print I ran printed every page. I quess I
could feed the pages into my copier, but that would be a waste of
paper.

Also, in Page Setup, I was asked about Sheets per booklet. Do I
want
"Auto", "All", or one of the numerical choices.---