Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Default Can we customize font size so at Doc. open its a different size?

Mr. Daniels,

The only one in this thread proving a comprehension defect is you . If the
OP has Word 2003 he or she has a normal.dot. If the OP has Word2007 he or
she has a normal.dotm. If the OP has Word2003 and Word 2008 he or she as
both a normal.dot and a normal.dotm. This fact remains true regardless of
the presence or absence of macros.

I will not dispute, and could care less, if you now have or if you have ever
had a normal.dotx. When a dilettante like you starts monkeying with Word
there is no telling what will result.

Prove it to yourself. Rename your normal.dotm (and normal.dotx file if you
still have it) and restart Word.

Cheers,

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Of course I said that, since we don't know whether OP has Word2003,
Word2007 with at least one macro, or Word2007 with no macros. Why do
you find that difficult to comprehend?

Stefan pointed out that if one has both 2003 and 2007 on one's system,
then one does indeed have normal.dot, which I did and do. What is your
problem? "I guess my system was a freak!" in the eyes of those who
don't think that macro-less Word2007 has normal.dotx and not
normal.dotm.

Since you refuse to believe anything I say, how about this quotation
from *Microsoft Office Word2007 Inside Out*, by Katherine Murray, Mary
Milhollon, and Beth Melton (Microsoft Press, 2007), p 53:

"Caution! The document will be converted to the new file format, given
the new file extension (.dotx for macro free documents or .dotm for
macro enabled documents)"

On Nov 16, 8:06 am, Greg Maxey wrote:
For the latter, open your normal.dot or normal.dotm or normal.dotx

Note you said or "normal.dotx." Continue your arguments or slink off
as you wish.

On Nov 16, 7:36 am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

Certainly I had normal.dot as well. I guess my system was a freak!

On Nov 16, 6:49 am, "Stefan Blom"

wrote:
There shouldn't be a "normal.dotx" file unless someone
intentionally saved
it to the user templates folder. But note that if you are running
Word 2003
and Word 2007 on the same machine, there will be a normal.dot file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in
I didn't have any macros for months after installing Office2007,
and
my normal. template was normal.dotx until I did.

Does my stalker imagine that people have nothing else to do with
their
lives than monitor newsgroups so they can post instant responses?

On Nov 15, 4:49 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

No, it's Normal.dotm by default. Otherwise you wouldn't be able
to save a macro in it. A .dotm file is not one that *contains*
macros but one that is
macro-enabled.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in
Not until you've put at least one macro into it!

On Nov 15, 12:49 pm, "Stefan Blom"

wrote:
To clarify, the file name extension for the Normal template in
Word 2007 is
*.dotm (macro-enabled template).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in
Do you want to change the size of all your existing documents,
or do you want _new_ documents to be set to 16 pt?

For the latter, open your normal.dot or normal.dotm or
normal.dotx template (which version of Word?), not by
double-clicking it, but from within Word, and Modify (which
version of Word?) the Normal style to change its font size.

On Nov 15, 11:29 am, JE wrote:

My word docs always open at font size 11. I wouldm like to
change this to
16.
How do we do that?
Thanks, JE----