Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Unwanted text in TOC

[...] I'd still want
to rid my document of those spurious headings and paragraph levels.

Pam, note that this is also covered in the linked article.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
Hi, Stefan,

Oh, that's a much faster way to clear up the problem TOC--but I'd still
want
to rid my document of those spurious headings and paragraph levels.

I've often wondered about the difference between \o and \u. I've long
added
the paragraph level to style definitions to so the style would get picked
up
by the TOC, and I've deleted the \u with no effect. Now I know that's
because \u applies to _direct formatting_.

Thanks so much,

Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:
If your assumption is correct, deleting the \u switch from the TOC field
code would suffice (the switch instructs Word to include paragraphs that
have outline levels 1--9 applied as direct formatting). See also
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm.

The unwanted TOC paragraphs may have the wrong paragraph outline level
applied. This sometimes happens if the the document map has been
opened.

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

Thanks.