Chuck Davis

-----Original Message-----
I am running XP Professional and using Office 2003.
I was working with a fairly large Word document (2799 KB).

I then moved it=20
from my hard drive (where I was working with it) to my ZIP

100 disk by=20
clicking and dragging it over. Additionally, I deleted

the old folders that=20
all the different components of this document were

contained in. Before I=20
deleted them, however, I had combined all of the different

document=20
components into one (1) Word document. Everything was

working fine until I=20
tried to re-open the 2799 KB file and this error message

came up:

Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
Try these suggestions:
*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
*Make sure there is sufficient memory and disk space.
*Open the file with the Text Recovery converter

I checked the first two suggestions and found no

restrictions on the file or=20
drive (I hadn't placed any on them in the first placed),

and the memory was=20
just fine.
I didn't kmow much about Text Recovery so I clicked "Show

Help" on the=20
error message box I was shown this list of explanations:

"This error message can appear for several reasons.
The document may be corrupt or damaged. Use either the

Recover Text=20
converter or the Open and Repair feature. Both are

available from the Open=20
dialog. The Recover Text converter is in the Files of

type: drop down and the=20
Open and Repair feature is available from the Open button

(select the down=20
arrow and not the button itself).
File permissions may be set so you cannot access the file

(read denied). It=20
is even possible you do not have permissions to open

anything within the=20
drive or folder the file is saved to. In this case,

contact the owner of the=20
drive or folder and request permissions to access the file.
It is possible you have run out of system resources (disk

space or RAM) or=20
another program on your system has consumed all the

available memory. It is=20
even possible for a program to have a memory leak that is

using up large=20
quantities of memory. The best method to recover memory

consumed by a memory=20
leak is to restart the computer. It may be possible to

shut down the=20
offending program by using the Task Manager, but it is not

recommended since=20
it may further destabilize the system.
There may be a read lock on the file you are attempting to

open. Another=20
user may have the file open, or even another application

that has a link to=20
the file has placed an exclusive lock on the file and is

not allowing Word to=20
open the file. If a custom application has opened the

file, it may have=20
opened the file using an incorrect method."

I would like to know how to access either the RECOVER TEXT

converter or the=20
OPEN/REPAIR FEATURE because I cannot find them at

all=E2?"even with the=20
instructions given that I related above. Please help

me=E2?"the file in question=20
is EXTREMELY important. Thank you.
Robert Wheeler

.

Robert,

Try moving the file back to your hard drive and then open it.