Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Phil Rabichow Phil Rabichow is offline

Default New Word 2003 datasource from wizard? - Thank you.

Thanks, Peter, for the information. I appreciate it.
--
Phil

Peter Jamieson wrote:

Just a few extra points that may help you...
a. when you create a data source in this way, Word creates the .mdb using a
specific data structure and calls the .mdb an "Office Address List" (OAL)
b. When a .mdb file is in OAL format,
- Word shouldn't prompt you for any table/query name when you try to
re-open the data source
- Word does let you display the data source in its recipients dialog box.
So, even with Word, users do have a way to view the data, although it's
obviously not quite the same as being able to edit with the "native" Word
facilities you would have if you were editing a data source in Word format.
However, the dialog box is limited to 10000 records.
- Word lets you edit the data source from the recipients dialog box. Word
no longer allows direct editing of most other data sources, even .mdb tables
that are not in Office Address List format. (Although if you are still
conecting using DDE you can obviously edit Access and Excel data sources in
their "native" applications)
c. beware of /opening/ an OAL in Access and doing stuff to it, such as
creating Access reports. The chances are that you will add stuff to the .mdb
that will prevent Word from seeing it as an OAL. If you want to use Access
to do stuff with an Office Address List, I suggest you
- back up the OAL until you can establish that what you are doing to it
will not de-OAL it
- use a front-end Access database to do what you want and make links to
the table/query in the OAL (in which case I don't think the OAL is actually
modified at all, but you'll need to verify that for yourself).

Peter Jamieson

"Phil Rabichow" wrote in message ...
Thanks, Doug. I thought that there might be a way for the wizard to
create a
datasource as a Word table. After all, some people don't have Access &
just
have Word.
--
Thanks again,
Phil

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

A datasource created via the Wizard will be created in the form of (some
form of) an Access database. To (small a) access it other that via the
Mail
Merge utility, you must use Access.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Phil Rabichow" wrote in message
Using Word 2003, is it possible to create a new Word datasource using
the
wizard? When I get to step 3 (select recipients) & choose "Type a new
list", the only option is an Access datasource. I know that it's
possible
to create the Word datasource first & then choose it, but what about
using
the wizard? (I also know you can do it using the old MailMergeHelper
dialog
box).
--
Thanks in advance,