Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Variable Word Count

You do know, don't you, that you can insert a NumWords field into the
document itself?

That doesn't answer your question, of course, and perhaps someone else can
do that. Do your documents contain empty paragraph marks? I think Word
counts each of those as a word, along with certain other things such as page
and section breaks. But I'm no expert on this, so I'll wait for one of them
to weigh in.

"aitch" wrote in message
This is a reposting as I earlier put the question into the wrong place.

On my machine there are a number of stories I have written - varying from
over 70000 words down to about 1000. I need the number of words to let
potential editors know when I submit something.

These are stored in a sub-section of Documents. Today I discovered that a
right click offers "more" - giving me extra column categories than I
didn't
know about, and they include one specifically titled Word Count. This
seemed
like manna from Heaven until I created and used this extra column.

Some of the variations between the original W Count from the document and
the one automatically inserted by Windows in the column are quite
striking.

Some examples. The first figure is using Tools / Word count; The second
from
the W.C. option in the column in Documents from 'more' .

3959 3062 Diff -927
3786 3161 -625
12279 10321 -1958
5687 4565 -1122.

A couple of counts match exactly at 2668 and 918 while a novel length
piece
of 71796 words shows a tiny difference of +3.

The Word version I use is from Office XP Pro and the Documents folder I
use
is included in Vista.

Has anyone any advice to give or comments to make? All comments would be
appreciated.

Cheers,

Aitch.