Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I create a numbered list of bookmarks

Numbered items are already automatically bookmarked by Word. You need only
use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference and insert the "Paragraph number"
of the numbered item.

http://word.mvps.org

"jeri" wrote in message
news
If you just create a numbered list (FormatBullets and Numbering), you
can't
select the number itself as the bookmark text. I found out that it would
work if I used InsertField, set the Category to 'Numbering' and the
select
'ListNum' from the Field Names. This will insert a number in the table
cell
that you can, then, highlight and select InsertBookmark. Then when you
cross reference that bookmark later on, the number will be displayed as
the
bookmark text. The numbers will automatically resort if new table entries
are inserted or if existing entries are deleted. I figured it out using
brute force. I would think that it would be a fairly common thing to do -
for which a help topic would exist. (I'm using Word 2003.)

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

Which version of Word?

The steps you list seem to be exactly how to do it -- what are you
missing?

On Sep 18, 1:08 pm, jeri wrote:
In tables of referenced documents, I used to have a numbered list in
the
first column. I could select the number and use Insert Bookmark to
create a
bookmark for the reference. I could then cross-reference the bookmark
later
in the text. The cross-reference text that appeared was the number.
If I
then inserted new references, I could renumber all reference numbers in
the
list by selecting the table column and using F9.

I just started a new job and don't have a table to cut and paste from
and
don't remember how I initially set this up. Can you point me towards
some
instructions?