Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default DOCPROPERTY field switches and non-breaking hyphens and spaces

Maybe some of what you say is correct for some moderated newsgroups. This
isn't one.

Clearly you posted blindly here, without reading the newsgroup for a few
days or weeks as is normal practice. You seem to be harboring the fantasy
that hundreds of people are posting questions and answers around the
clock.

I could indeed "cancel" my post so that other Google Groups users would
not see it. That does not remove it from newsgroups in general.

Evidently you also understand little about the structure of MSWord
itself, if you don't realize that the version can be _very_ important
for an intricate and specialized question like yours.

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:48:58 AM UTC-5, chapteryx wrote:
Ah, well, allow me to retort, and then I shan't bother you anymore.

I'm sure you think you're well-intentioned and I don't blame you for

your response.

I know quite well how a newgroup works, thanks, which is precisely why I

wrote what I did.

I manage the odd newsgroup myself, and I can remove messages when so

requested. That's what the filthy big "REPORT INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT"

button is all about. And an administrator can remove what he/she

wishes.

And an administrator can even sometimes partially delegate such access.

Secondly, some newsgroup software does allow you to remove your own

posts, sometimes whenever you like, and sometimes only if there's been

no response to your message yet.

Thirdly, it is a common feature in newsgroup software to allow readers

to list all questions that have not yet had a response. Such messages

allow contributors to quickly assist when there has been no response to

date.

Because you posted a largely useless response, albeit interesting in

itself, there might well be many who consider that even reading my

request (already answered in some fashion) is not top priority.

What's more, you're unlikely to get a response to your own problem by

piggybacking on an as-yet unproductive thread.

I just don't really understand why you didn't open a new thread, since

it's really quite a different issue, and nothing to do with Custom

Properties.

But you know, I don't really mind, and I'm not really upset about it at

all.

But you have a high posting count so maybe you can reflect on the

unintended and perhaps unexpected consequences of your activities on

others.

Last of all, dear Sir, you fail to mention the version of WORD that you

have a problem with too, so calling my kettle black is a little inflated

of you in the circumstance.

I wish you good luck to solve your non-breaking space problem.

PS: The problem I describe occurs in the three most recent versions of

WORD, and though you are quite correct to note my omission, it's not

really of any consequence.