Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Default Normal.dot versus online dot files

Normal.dot is a part of the Word program. It should never be shared. You
should be using document templates to transmit your styles. These can be
shared in a workgroup templates folder. For more on the different kinds of
templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of templates folders
see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"getravel" wrote in message
Can someone please explain the difference between Normal.dot and online
templates - each with the exact same styles. Or point me to a Web site
that
can explain the difference. Please see my concern below.

I work in an office where we have Normal.dot set up with the styles we use
in our engineering documents. We also have online Word templates set up
with
the same styles so the engineers can enter their information and the
formatting would be applied.

If the online templates contain the styles needed to format the
engineering
documents, why do we need Normal.dot to have the same styles. Why do we
need
Normal.dot at all???

Any explanation you can offer would ge greatly appreciated.
--
Thanks,
getravel