Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default How do you create a template without using an existing template?

That's useful knowledge, which I shall try to tuck away. Thanks.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I use the same method Shauna provided -- it's about as out-of-the-box as
you can get and thankfully none of your Normal.dot(m) customizations are
included, such as custom toolbars. I found this "trick" after working on a
project with Bill Coan. I accidentally included toolbar customizations in
my global template which resulted in removing toolbar customizations in his
global template. Whoops!

I also use it when I want to make sure I'm working with all of the
defaults, such as checking the default style definitions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I was speaking theoretically and (obviously) without empirical knowledge.
To begin with, I don't often create templates. Moreover, I never modify
the formatting of Normal.dot (I customize it with toolbar buttons and
AutoText and macros and the like, but I don't change the font, page
layout, style definitions, etc.) because I want to keep it pristine as a
reference for the out-of-the-box style definitions.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne, Terry

I have to say that this is not my experience. If I set Normal style in
Normal.dot to be, say, 8pt Arial Magenta, and if (Word 2003 here), in
the Templates dialog, I select the Template radio button and create a
new Template, then Word will create my new template with the
out-of-the-box settings and Normal style will be TNR 12. I conclude
that, in this case, Word is not creating my new template on normal.dot,
but is instead building it straight from its default settings stored in
the binary.