Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fredrik K Fredrik K is offline

Default default bullet

I´ve tried the Normal.dotm too. Same problem. I´ve also tried making a new
template Letter.dotx and applying the changes there. But with the same
problems opening a new document based on that specific template. The default
bullet is the old black dot.

Fredrik

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Note that if you actually have a file called normal.dotx (with the dotX
extension), that is *not* the blank document template, which has the dotM
extension.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Fredrik K" wrote in message

I´m trying to change it in Normal.dotx both in the Ctrl+Shift and
Alt+Ctrl+Shift panes, being careful checking the "New documents based on
this
template" box. It works in the actual Normal.dotx but not when I open a
new
document based on the template.

Fredrik

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

As I wrote, the List Paragraph style cannot be used to modify settings
for
numbers or bullets.

How are you changing the List Bullet style in normal.dotm?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Fredrik K" wrote in message
Hi!

I´ve got the same problem as Robin. I´ve tried changing List Paragraph,
List
Bullet and even List in Normal.dotx to my own fine square, red dot but
when I
open a New document the (right Robin) ugly little black dot is there
again.

Fredrik

"Robin" wrote:

Thanks but nope. Went into the normal.dotm and made the change to the
list
bullet. This seemed to work ok in the normal.dotm document, but when
saved, close and opened a new document, the little black dot raised
its
ugly
head!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Which style are you changing? If you are trying to change List
Paragraph, I
would advise against it. For some reason, List Paragraph behaves
unpredictably (especially with indentation).

If you cannot successfully transfer List Bullet or a custom
paragraph
style
to the attached template, try opening the template directly (via the
Open
dialog box) and make the modification directly. Does that help?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote in message
Thanks Stefan. I get it to work in a doc (pops up with "List
Paragraph"
when
I insert a bullet and then CTRL+SHFT+S). However, when I close
this
word
doc
and open a new one, the black dot returns... This is with the
"New
documents
based on this template" ticked.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Well, the idea is to apply the bullet formatting to text by
applying
paragraph style modified to include the desired bullet
formatting.

For example, you can use one of Word's built-in bullet styles,
List
Bullet,
as a starting point. In the Apply Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S),
type
List
Bullet. Click the Modify button. In the Modify Style dialog box,
click
Format, and then click Numbering. Click the Bullets tab. Choose
the
desired
bullet (or use Define New Bullet if you don't see the bullet you
want).
When
you are done click OK to confirm the settings (which takes you
back
Modify Style dialog box).

To transfer the modified style to the attached template, use the
"New
documents based on this template" option in the Modify Style
dialog
box
before clicking OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote in message
Thanks, but that does not change the default bullet. When I do
this, I
need
to insert a new bullet (which will be a black dot) and then
manually
change
the style, right?

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for
Word
2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as
prescribed
by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style
menu's
"new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new
bullet,
it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by
step
tips
on
how