Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Word form does not open at the top

"Susan L" wrote:

Guy:
A continuous section break at the top of the page should work. Of course,
make sure to select all sections excpet section one when applying protection
from the protection task pane (CLick on "Select sections...").

I didn't see a "Select sections" -- is that supposed to be in the protection
pane?

Yes.
In smaller print, looks like a hyperlink, under the Restriction Type dropdown.

Where you using ActiveX and Formfields? What else do you have in the
document?

Yes, I am using radio button ActiveX controls and text fields from the Forms
toolbar. The document has an initial page of text with two radio buttons at
the bottom. The rest of the document consists of a 1-page table and a 2-page
table. No other section breaks. The rest of the controls are in those tables.
I applied "Filling in forms" protection.

ActiveX may create problems.
If Word decides that they are not trusted, it goes into Design mode, which
means it is not a proper form anymore.
Try not to use ActiveX controls if you are distributing the document.

Was your client creating a document from the template or just opening an
existing dcument, if so, how did you make sure that the said document was in
fact connected to the appropriate template?

I walked him through installing the templates (Documents & Settings, his
folder name, application data, etc.). Then instructed him to choose File
New with the mouse to create a new document based on the template. When the
resulting document was uneditable, I created a form (in the same manner) from
the template and sent it to him to see if it would function properly. First
he opened it from the Desktop, which resulted in an uneditable document.
Later, he saved it to a folder in My Documents and it did function properly,
although the Control Toolbox appeared when he first opened it. He closed the
toolbox and it did not appear when he re-opened the document. I will make
sure he saves the attachment to a folder rather than "running it through"
Outlook and doing a Save As.

The Toobox appearing is an indication that ActiveX controls are creating
problems.
I never use them, unless I can go to the client site and run tests.

And what if you double click on the template itself from the Windows
Explorer window instead of going through File New? Does that work?

I tried that, and it results in an uneditable document. However, I just
decided to check again to see if the templates appear in Word on the laptop
-- and lo, they do. And the resulting document is also editable. Last night I
tried closing and reopening Word, but it must have been the shutdown that
cleared out whatever was going on. So that problem is solved. Glad I checked
before posting back. The client keeps saying that he must be doing something
wrong €“ and perhaps thats the case. Since were not face to face, I cant
see whats going on.

That is never a great situation!
I use Virtual PC and have installed many Windows and Office versions so that
I can at lesat mimic client set ups on my machine. It is better than having
many machines...