Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default How does Word decide what name to use when saving new documents? (2007)

Ah, right. I forgot that this is so friggin hard to get to in 2007. I've
added a button to the QAT for direct access, so I have to figure it out from
scratch every time. First you have to display the Developer tab. If you
haven't already done that, you do it by checking "Show Developer tab in the
Ribbon" in Office Button | Word Options | Popular. Then, on the Developer
tab, click Document Panel. I don't consider the Document Panel a substitute
for the Document Properties dialog but at least you can get to that dialog
by clicking Document Properties on the Document Panel and clicking Advanced
Properties... (question: since the menu has only one selection, why don't
you get to the dialog just by clicking the button?).

If you'll be using the Properties dialog often, do yourself a favor and add
a button to the QAT. The one you want is Advanced Document Properties under
All Commands in the Customize Quick Access Toolbar dialog.

"Three Lefts" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:48:21 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I can't speak to Word 2007 specifically, but in all previous versions of
Word, the naming convention is as follows:

1. If there is content in the Title field of the document properties, this
will be offered as the file name. If there is content and you haven't
specifically put it there, it is coming from the template; if you don't
want
this content, open the template for editing and delete the content of the
Title property.

2. If the Title is blank, Word will suggest the first text string in the
document, from the beginning to the first punctuation mark, line break, or
paragraph break. In letters this is often a date.

From your description, it would appear that your templates have been
created
from documents that had Title content and so inherited it. If you don't
want
this filename suggested all the time, open the template and delete the
Title.

And where have they hidden the Title property in 2007?

I knew where to find it in 2000.