Bob Carlton

I believe I've fixed the problem. In Excel, just make sure the first row has
no blanks in it. I use five columns, but sometimes maybe there will be a
blank because of no P.O. Box, or perhaps no owner name, just a business name.
And, other times I will have all five. Business name, owner name, P.O. Box,
Street Address, and City, State, Zipcode. When Word sets up the merge
fields, it evidently detects a blank cell, and reduces the fields as such.
Quite an exercise in futility for a re-printed/corrected mailing label list,
but at least now it appears to work.

"Bob Carlton" wrote:

I tried what you suggested. This time I used the named fields in Excel, and
I got four merge fields. Ususally I just tell it entire spreadsheet. Still
need five because the City, State, zip didn't come across.
I have no hidden columns in my worksheets.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Can you please try exporting the Excel data from one of the "non-working"
sheets and re-importing into a completely new sheet?

Do you have any hidden columns in the non-working sheets?

Peter Jamieson
"Bob Carlton" wrote in message
I have five columns in my Excel spreadsheet. Business name, owner, P.O.
Box,
Street address, and City, State, zip code. And I need to import all of
them
to my mailing labels. All my Excel sheets are set up the same way. But,
when I go to import the spreadsheet into mail merge, even if I select the
entire spreadsheet, sometimes it only allows 3 merge fields. I have tried
everything I can think of, but the problem pops up in 2 of my 4
spreadsheets.

"Bob Carlton" wrote:

The number of merge fields seems to vary. I need five merge fields, and
sometimes only 3 are available. If I go to a different excel document to
import, there may or may not be five fields available. How do I set word
so
that I have more merge fields available all the time.
--
bob carlton