edwardP in big D

Default inserting xref to custom defined headings

i created some custom styles based on Heading1, Heading2, etc.

when i attempt to Insert Reference Cross-Reference to an instance of one
of my custom defined styles, they dont show up in the "For which heading"
list, even though i have selected "Heading" in the "Reference type" list.

Does Word only show headings that are instances of the pre-defined Heading1,
Heading2, etc. and never custom defined styles based on those headings??

How can i get Word to show headings that are instances of my custom defined
styles?

thx,
edward
Word 2003 running on an XP SP2 system

ps. mazza asked a similar question back in may but never replied back to
steve.