Herb Tyson [MVP]

The usual cause is a corrupted normal.dot or corrupted registry entries.
Take a look here for possible troubleshooting steps:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"S Youzba" wrote in message
This has been a lingering problem. Everytime I have more than one
document
open in Word 2000, if I close one document, the entire program encounters
problem and must shut down. This seems to have occured after I upgraded
from
ME OS to XP Pro. I have tried to reload Office completely and have
downloaded and installed all updates. Any clue of how this can be fixed
or
what is causing the problem. BTW, it does not happen in Excel, or
Powerpoint.