Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default ASK not actioned when recipient list changes

Add an autoopen macro to the merge document template containing the line
ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
which will update the Ask field when you open the merge document and any
related REF fields that are in the main body of the document (REF fields in
headers etc may need updating separately)
If the document template was normal.dot this macro may be undesirable there,
so save the merge document as a template and attach it to your merge
document.

Walter Briscoe wrote:
I am using Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1.
I have { ASK foo "bar" \o ) and { REF foo \* MERGEFORMAT } fields. *
Without "\o", I am prompted for each merged recipient when I do Edit
individual letters...\Merge to New Document\OK
When I add \o I am not prompted - EVER!
I want to be prompted once for a set of recipients.
I want to be prompted again when the set of recipients changes to a
new set.

* Word added "\* MERGEFORMAT" to my REF field. I assume it is a good
thing. Removing it does nothing to alter perceived behavior.