Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Default Word Clipboard Toolbar Always Docks Itself

A bit of a rambling respone - I'm sorry.

If I remember, the default out of the box is for this toolbar to be
floating, which means that I would expect to see it float when you start
Word in Safe Mode. I think I need to experiment a little but that may take
me a little while (not least to get my wife off the PC where I still have
Word 2000!).

I am interested that you say it is docked in every Word document you open.
Does that mean that, if you have it floating and then open another document,
it is then docked in that document window but still floating in the first
document window?

The Office clipboard is a common Office feature. If you have other Office
applications, Excel 2000, say, how does it behave there?

Although I don't think it should be significant, could you also check you
registry (don't change anything at the moment, just check it) for a value.
The Key (where you have to navigate to in the left and pane) is
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Co mmon\General and the Value
(in the right hand pane) is AcbControl. If it exists (and it may not), what
value does it have?

If you have Windows XP or later, can you add a new userid to the machine,
and test Word 2000 under that user to see what happens? You can remove the
user after the test - and take the option to remove all user data, so that
nothing should be left of the test.

I fully understand that you want the toolbar close to hand - a feature that
is important to many people, and which has largely been taken away in Word
2007.

It is unlikely that re-installing Word 2000 will make any difference;
re-installing doesn't change user options in the registry, and doesn't
change anything inside individual documents and templates (including
normal.dot).

You can safely install Word 2003. The only proviso is that you install it
after installing any Office 2000 components you wish to keep (and if you
ever wish to reinstall any Office 2000 components, you must uninstall Word
2003, reinstall the Office 2000 bits and then reinstall Word 2003). When you
install it, you will have the option to update Word 2000 to Word 2003, or to
install it separately and have both versions on the machine side by side.
You are not alone in wanting to keep PhotoDraw 2000, although it is getting
a bit long in the tooth now.

The interface to the Office clipboard in 2003 is different, though. It uses
a 'Task Pane' (a big window, by default docked to the right, but which can
float and be resized). Task Panes were introduced in Word 2002, but in 2002
and 2003 there is just one Task Pane and several uses for it so it is not
possible to keep the clipboard visible all the time. Although I guess you
don't do it, it is possible to interact with the Office clipboard via VBA in
Word 2000 by accessing the toolbar; this option does not exist in later
versions.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Owl1" wrote in message
Hi Tony - Thank you for the idea to start Word in Safe Mode. I tried this:
it
also didn't help. The Clipboard toolbar behaves exactly the same way: it
is
always docked when Word opens, and always docked in every Word document
you
subsequently open.

Yes, the Clipboard toolbar used to work just fine! And it was a great help
in the work I do. I'd really like to get it back. As I've said before,
probably to most people this seems unimportant, but when you need to go
from
one opened Word document to another and make regular use of multiple
Clipboard items, to have it float is really helpful.

This has become so much of a frustration (and source of guilt for taking
up
you experts' time trying to help me) that I've thought of uninstalling
Word
2000 and then reinstalling it, using the Reinstall option in Control Panel
for Office 2000.

As an alternative, I've thought of trying to install only Word 2003 from
the
Standard Edition of Office 2003 that someone gave me four years ago. I
never
installed it because I was afraid it would automatically uninstall
programs
in Office 2000 Premium Edition that I rely on (PhotoDraw and Publisher).

I raised this question on the MS Office Community Forum, and have gotten
conflicting answers, so I'm still trying to patch Word 2000 somehow.

Again, I want to thank you guys for your generous willingness to offer
some
guidance!