Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Too Many Data Fields in Mail Merge

The same *type* of data source or the same data source?

The probability is that you have an extra unwanted comma in one or more of
the records which makes the record(s) appear to have more fields than the
header suggests.

Lynda wrote:
Hi Peter:

The CSV data file is comma-delimited with double-quotes.

The data file has first a header with the field names separated by a
comma. The actual data fields are enclosed in double quotes and each
data element is separated by a comma as well.

In some cases, the Word does ask about the field delimiter and record
delimiter. This does not happen with all of our mail merge letters
--only a couple even though all letters are constructed in the same
way using the same type of data source.

We are baffled why this is happening with some letters but not with
others.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Do you have any data that contains commas (assuming that your CSV
data really is comma-delimite rather than delimited by some other
character)? If so, is it enclosed in double-quotes?

When you select the mail merge data source, does Word ask you about
the field delimiter? Does it also ask yu about the "record
delimiter"? (Word has a number of ways it can open a CSV data source
and I'm trying to establish which one it is using).

Peter Jamieson

"Lynda" wrote in message
I am working in Word 2003 mail merge and using a .csv data file as
the data source file. The CSV file has the field headings as a
header. Lately, every time I try to merge from the .CSV data file
to the merge letter, I get the message "Too Many Data Fields." I
then have to click 'ok' to contunue. A few letters will merge ok and
then this message pops up again. Is there some setting that
needs to be set for prevent this from occurring?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lynda